Are you looking for the best snowboard helmet, but don’t know where to look? Between the size, fit, construction, and style, finding the right snowboard helmet can be a headache-inducing process. For this reason, we have created a list of the 5 best snowboard helmets and included a complete buying guide for your convenience.
In a Hurry? Here Are Our Top 3 Picks:Invalid table id.
Reviews of the 5 Best Snowboard Helmets
If you are interested in purchasing a snowboard helmet, check out our list of the 5 best snowboard helmets.
1. Wildhorn Drift Snowboard Helmet
If you want the best snowboard helmet on the market, you will want the Wildhorn Drift Snowboard Helmet. This helmet is one of the most durable, comfortable, and fashionable models on the market. Let’s see why this is our best overall pick!
Most notably, the Wildhorn Drift Snowboard Helmet is manufactured by one of the most trusted snowboarding brands. Wildhorn Outfitters is a supplier for the U.S. Ski and Snowbaord Team, which ensures that this helmet is made for expert-level performance.
Part of the reason this brand is a supplier for the US team is for its extreme durability. The Wildhorn Drift Snowboard Helmet is made with advanced technology to ensure safety and protection. This feature ensures that your brain will be protected in even the most disastrous of falls.
Another key feature of the Wildhorn Drift Snowboard Helmet is its VNT technology. This technology is designed with a patented temperature control ventilation system. This feature ensures that your head will not get uncomfortably sweaty or stuffy.
In addition to the VNT technology, the Wildhorn Drift Snowboard Helmet also promises all-day comfort. The interior is made of a ultra-plush interior that provides protections and insulation. This fact ensures that you will enjoy your day on the slopes without fear of an uncomfortable helmet.
The Wildhorn Drift Snowboard also stands out for its sleek design. Unlike most snowboard helmets that are bulky, this model is 25% lighter than the average helmet and is designed to look like a pro-helmet. This feature ensures that you will look your best while performing your best!
- Trusted brand
- VNT technology
- All-day comfort
- Sleek design
- No built-in audio systems
[amalinkspro type=”cta-btn-css” ctabtn-id=”0″ asin=”B07F4XS82P” associate-id=”getactiveoutside-20″ addtocart=”false” new-window=”true” nofollow=”true” alignment=”align-center”] Check Price and Reviews on Amazon[/amalinkspro]
2. AKASO Snowboard Helmet
Another snowboard helmet to look into is the AKASO Snowboard Helmet. This helmet is ultra-durable and comfortable. Let’s see why this model is our best runner up!
The most important feature of the AKASO Snowboard Helmet is its durability. It is safety certified and constructed so the outer shell is fused with the EPS liner. This feature provides maximum protection in the case of a fall.
Another key feature of the AKASO Snowboard Helmet is its comfortability. This model comes with an adjustable fit dial so you can change the size of the helmet for your head. This feature ensures that you are completely comfortable with the size of the helmet.
The AKASO Snowboard Helmet is even more comfortable because of its climate control. This model has an adjustable vent on the top. These vents allow you to control how much heat you want to let out while boarding.
The AKASO Snowboard Helmet also stands out for its removable liners. The fleece and ear pads are both removable, which allows you to control how many layers insulate your head. This feature also allows you to clean parts of your helmet easily and hassle-free.
The last reason that the AKASO Snowboard Helmet stands out is for its goggle securers. There is a goggle loop on the back of the helmet that keeps your goggles in place. This feature ensures that your goggles do not move, which increases visibility.
- Climate control
- Removable liners
- Goggle securers
- No built-in audio system
[amalinkspro type=”cta-btn-css” ctabtn-id=”0″ asin=”B07KYL73PQ” associate-id=”getactiveoutside-20″ addtocart=”false” new-window=”true” nofollow=”true” alignment=”align-center”] Check Price and Reviews on Amazon[/amalinkspro]
3. Smith Optics Unisex Adult Holt Snow Sports Helmet
- Protection: Advanced ABS construction for increased impact protection and all-around durability....
- ntegration: Designed for ultimate integration with Smith goggles for maximum comfort and venting....
Another great snowboard helmet is the Smith Optics Holt Snow Sports Helmet. This helmet comes with both necessary and luxury features that are sure to make any boarder happy. Let’s look at this model more closely.
Most notably, the Smith Optics Holt Snow Sports Helmet is extremely durable. It is made with a bombshell construction that provides both maximum protection and sleek design. This construction comes with a shell, ear pads, and a removable goggle lock.
Another key feature of the Smith Optics Holt Snow Sports Helmet is its ventilation. This model is equipped with 14 vents that ensure airflow climate control. These vents will allow your head to breath no matter how long you’ve been wearing the helmet.
The Smith Optics Holt Snow Sports Helmet also stands out for its luxury items. This model comes with a Skullcandy audio system that allows you to easily listen to music while wearing your helmet. Though this feature is not necessary, it is sure to make your boarding more enjoyable!
The final reason the Smith Optics Holt Snow Sports Helmet is on our list is that it is suitable for all-season use. The helmet comes with both a summer and winter kit that will allow you to board with this helmet no matter the temperature outside!
- Skullcandy audio system
- All-season use
- Small fit
[amalinkspro type=”cta-btn-css” ctabtn-id=”0″ asin=”B003PBEK0M” associate-id=”getactiveoutside-20″ addtocart=”false” new-window=”true” nofollow=”true” alignment=”align-center”] Check Price and Reviews on Amazon[/amalinkspro]
4. JetBlaze Snow Sports Helmet
The JetBlaze Snow Sports Helmet is another superior snowboard helmet. This model is durable, comfortable, and built-to-last. See why this model made our list!
The JetBlaze Snow Sports Helmet is notable for its durability and guaranteed protection. This helmet is safety certified and includes two reinforced layers for protection. This feature ensures maximum protection in the case that you should fall or hit your head.
Another reason the JetBlaze Snow Sports Helmet stands out is for its ventilation system. This model is designed with adjustable vents that allow you to control how much heat you want to let out. This feature ensures maximum comfortability while wearing the helmet.
The JetBlaze Snow Sports Helmet is even more comfortable because it is size adjustable. This helmet features a size dial that allows you to change the helmet size to fit your head perfectly. This feature ensures both maximum comfort and complete protection.
As if that was not enough, the JetBlaze Snow Sports Helmet is built to last. This model promises the highest quality control, which ensures your helmet will last and you’ll get your money’s worth!
In the case that there is an issue with your helmet though, the JetBlaze Snow Sports Helmet comes with a 100% satisfaction guarantee. This means that you will be offered a full refund, no questions asked, if you are not fully satisfied with your purchase.
- Size adjustable
- 100% satisfaction guaranteed
- Not the most comfortable option
- No built-in audio systems
[amalinkspro type=”cta-btn-css” ctabtn-id=”0″ asin=”B07Z9HH1SH” associate-id=”getactiveoutside-20″ addtocart=”false” new-window=”true” nofollow=”true” alignment=”align-center”] Check Price and Reviews on Amazon[/amalinkspro]
5. Retrospec Traverse H1 Convertible Helmet
- 10 vents for ultimate temperature regulation with unyielding ABS shell exterior and firm,...
- Certified ABS exterior and EPS Foam interior to provide you, the rider, with top of the line quality...
If you are looking for a snowboard helmet on a budget, you will want to check out the Retrospec Traverse H1 Convertible Helmet, our best budget pick. This model is great for all situations and is built for durability and comfortability. Let’s look at this best budget pick!
When getting a helmet on a budget, you never want to sacrifice durability and safety. The Retrospec Traverse H1 Convertible Helmet has an ABS exterior and EPS Foam interior that ensures maximum protection.
Another key feature of the Retrospec Traverse H1 Convertible Helmet is its ventilation. This model comes with 10 vents that allow you to control the amount of heat loss from your heat. This feature ensures that your head will be comfortable while wearing the helmet.
To make the Retrospec Traverse H1 Convertible Helmet even more comfortable, this helmet is size adjustable. It has an ErgoKnob Adjustable Dial that allows you to adjust the helmet sizing to your head. This ensures maximum protection and comfortability.
What really makes the Retrospec Traverse H1 Convertible Helmet stand out, though, is its convertible design. This helmet is specifically crafted to be worn for snow sports and bicycle riding! This feature ensures you get the most bang for your buck!
On top of that, the Retrospec Traverse H1 Convertible Helmet is extremely affordable. It costs only a fraction of what other snowboard helmets costs and even includes most of the desired features.
- Size adjustable
- No headphone pockets
- No built-in audio systems
[amalinkspro type=”cta-btn-css” ctabtn-id=”0″ asin=”B07P7LT2P5″ associate-id=”getactiveoutside-20″ addtocart=”false” new-window=”true” nofollow=”true” alignment=”align-center”] Check Price and Reviews on Amazon[/amalinkspro]
Before buying a snowboard helmet, there are several factors to consider.
The most important factor to consider when buying a snowboard helmet is the fit. The fit of your helmet will determine the protectiveness of your helmet. Never purchase a helmet that does not fit your head properly.
Properly fit helmets should fit around your head snugly, but they should not be too tight or uncomfortable. You want to find a happy medium between tightness and comfortability
To check if your helmet fits, you will want to try it on before purchase. Simply put the helmet on and move your head around. If the helmet moves on your head, you need a smaller size. If your helmet is painfully tight, you need a larger size.
There are several parts of the helmet that will affect fitting:
- Helmet-to-Goggle Spacing: This refers to the space between the front of the helmet and goggles. The edge of the helmet should meet the top of the googles without any gaps. The helmet should not press the goggles down or hinder your vision, either.
- Chinstrap: The chinstrap should sit comfortably against your throat. It should not be too tight or too loose. To fix the chinstrap sizing, just tighten or loosen the adjustable strap.
When buying a snowboard helmet, make sure your helmet has these two components:
- Shell: The shell is the hard outside part of your helmet. It is normally made of an ABS-high impact plastic that will protect your head from any injuries.
- Inner liner: The inner liner is made to absorb the impact of any falls. It is normally made of expanded polystyrene foam. If this foam becomes compressed from a fall, you will want to purchase a new snowboard helmet.
You will also want to consider the helmet construction. There are several ways a snowboard helmet can be constructed:
- In-mold helmets: These helmets are when the shell and liner are attached in a single molding process. These models tend to be very light and sleek looking.
- Injection-molded helmets: These models are made when the inner liner is bonded into a separate shell. These helmets are more durable and can resist higher impacts, but they are bulkier and heavier.
- Hard shell ABS: These helmets are made of a sturdy ABS plastic shell. The shell is pre-formed and glued onto a hard foam interior. Hard shells are very protective and affordable.
- Soft shell: These models are constructed with 2 foam densities, and the softer of the 2 is closest to your head. Soft shells are intended for multiple, less intense falls.
Types of Snowboard Helmets
There are two main types of snowboard helmets:
- Half shell: Half shell helmets incorporate ear pads into the standard helmet. This design makes the half shell helmet the most popular for its comfortable fit.
- Full shell: Full shell helmets provide full ear coverage that protects the entire head from injury. Many professional and children’s helmets are this style.
Another feature to consider is the helmet’s ventilation. All heads get sweaty. It’s a fact. Wearing helmets can make your head uncomfortable and inhibit your performance. There are several ventilation systems that a helmet can have.
- Fixed venting: Almost all helmets have a form of fixed venting by having it built into the design of the helmet. This style cannot be adjusted and offers constant ventilation for heat and moisture escape.
- Adjustable venting: This ventilation type lets you control how much heat and moisture you release. These styles can be in the form of sliding or plug mechanisms.
There are several additional features you may want to consider when buying a snowboard helmet:
- Camera mount: Camera mounts are great if you want to record your boarding experience.
- Audio: Some helmets come with speakers so you can listen to music or your phone through your helmet. These helmets will be more expensive. You can always listen with ear buds of the audio feature is too expensive.
- Additional liners: Your helmet can come with additional liners that will protect more of your head. Detachable ear pads and drop liners will provide additional warmth. These liners are normally detachable, which means you can wash them.
Here are some frequently asked questions about snowboard helmets.
Is there a safety label I should look out for?
Yes. You will want your helmet to be ASTM certified, which means that it has been tested for safety.
How do I fit a snowboard helmet?
Finding the fit of your snowboard helmet is easy. First, place a soft measuring tape about 1 inch above your eyebrows to measure in centimeters the size of your head. Using that number, find a helmet that should match your head and try it on. Next, shake your head to see how it feels. Adjust accordingly.
If you are having trouble finding your perfect fit, you may want to consider an adjustable fit helmet. These helmets are made adjustable by a wheel, in form fit system, or pad system.
How do I pick out the best snowboard helmet for my child?
Picking a snowboard helmet for your child can be a difficult task. You will want to fit your child’s helmet in the same way you would fit your own.
In addition to the normal fitting steps, you will need to listen to your child very carefully. Any complaints about the looseness, tightness, or painfulness of the helmet mean that there is an issue with the sizing. If your child complains, you will want to fix the fit.
How do I wear a helmet with my goggles?
When placing your goggles, you want then to be touching the helmet. There should not be a gap between the goggles and the helmet. The goggle straps should fit comfortably over the back of the helmet.
How do I clean my helmet?
Since your head will probably get sweaty during use, you will want to clean your helmet after every adventure. You clean your helmet by using warm water and mild soap on both the inside and outside. Do not use strong detergents, submerge in water, or dry with high heat.
Will I need to replace my snowboard helmet?
Snowboard helmets are designed to withstand impact from your falls. You will need to buy a new helmet under certain conditions:
- All helmets should be replaced every 3-5 years. This will ensure that your helmet is properly protecting your head.
- EPS liners should be replaced after 1 impact from 2+ feet. These helmets are not designed for moderate, extreme, or frequent impacts.
- EPP liners can be replaced after several mild to moderate impacts. These helmets are designed to resist multiple impacts.
Can I decorate my helmet?
It is not recommended that you decorate your helmet. Attaching items to the helmet can hinder performance. If you want to paint or put stickers on your helmet, check the manufacturer’s website to ensure that the decorative material does not affect or corrode the helmet’s exterior.
Is a snowboard helmet different from other helmets?
Yes, but only slightly. All helmets should be constructed out of a hard shell exterior and shock-absorbing interior. The reason for this is that all helmets are designed to protect the head and absorb impact energy.
Snowboard helmets do have special features, though. For instance, most snowboard helmets come with earmuffs, additional liners, and goggle securers. These features are specifically added so you can be warm and have maximum visibility.
Normal helmets do not come with these features since most people do not bike in cold or icy climates. This means that your body will not be adequately protected from the environment if you wear a bicycle helmet snowboarding.
Buying a snowboard helmet can be a difficult task. Given that head injury is the most dangerous part of boarding, you need to consider all the helmet options to best protect yourself. To help with the process, we have created this list of the 5 best snowboard helmets and a complete buying guide.
Our best overall pick is the Wildhorn Drift Snowboard and Ski Helmet. This model offers professional-grade protection along with a professional design. The AKASO Snowboard Helmet is our best runner up. It is complete with top-notch protection and a killer ventilation system. For those on a budget, the Retrospec Traverse H1 Convertible Helmet is our best budget pick, complete with superior durability and comfortability.
If you still are unsure which model to purchase, you will need to consider a few key aspects. Size, construction, type, and ventilation are all important factors to consider. These factors will ensure that you purchase the best snowboard helmet for you and your needs!